History of the Weller Farm

We moved to Stanstead from Ohio October of 1970.  It gets cold earlier here than near Toledo, and I really had to struggle with two neighbors and a carpenter to tear down most of the old historic house I bought from my dad, and rebuild it with a basement before too much snow came.  We did it though and had the roof on and the walls enclosed by Dec 5, 1970.  Good thing as my wife Carole gave birth to our daughter Wendie November 11.  At one time while we lived in the old part of the house before the new house was enclosed, I remember the stove being cherry red and ice cycles forming out of the refrigerator ten feet away.   We are homesteaders and do it yourselfers

We have two addresses.  Why two addresses?  Well the border here goes through the middle of town-through houses, through a factory, and through the world famous Haskell Library and Opera House.  Flying over, it all looks like one town.  How do I know, I have a small airplane I nickname Bluebird, and have viewed it many times since it is not far from the airfield on our 360 acre farm.  The airport identifier is CTQ2.  If you play video games, you can “land” there. Bluebird in a 1946 Aeronca Champ that I bought wrecked Dec 31, 1980 and rebuilt with my son Kal and wife Carole’s help in the spring of 1981.  Since then I have flown trips NORDO (no radio) to Clearwater, Florida, the EAA flyin at Oshkosh, Wisconsin  and to Michigan only using compass and maps.  I did not learn this ability at school, but I can read and I can talk with those who know, and I was encouraged to think at The Lawrenceville School, Lawrenceville, NJ.

It took 10 years to build the airfield.  First you buy a junk bulldozer, rebuild it, and then over time cut down the hills and fill in the valleys.  We have a new concrete hanger built into the hill near the 2,600’ grass runway with an also ground level upstairs workshop/dance hall/wedding reception room.  Each open room is 41 feet by 48 feet.  The building has great 360 degree views with its two story octagon tower, as the land is on a ridge while our house is in the valley below.

To back up a bit.  After Lawrenceville I went to RPI in Troy, NY to study aeronautical engineering.  However I found that majoring in girls and outing club led to my flunking out after a year and a half.  As this was my first great failure, my mother convinced me to apply to go to Africa with Operation Crossroads Africa, which I did the summer of 1960  It really turned me around being white in a black Senegal, English in a French speaking area, and Christian in a Moslem community, and then hitchhiking two weeks around Europe by myself spending$40.

The Fall of 1960 I was accepted at Drew University, majored in Chemistry, joined the American Chemical Society, and graduated in 1964.  I then went to Amos Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth and graduated in 1965.  Between my first and second year at Tuck I married Carole Ann Wilkin whom I met at Drew.  We had four children; Kal, Wendie, Melody and John.  After Tuck I worked for Owens-Illinois, Inc.  My first job was in New Product Planning at their Tech Center and I liked it.  I discovered the reinforced thermoplastic they were experimenting with in the lab was bulletproof.  I knew this because I shot it- a quarter inch thick sample- and the 22 bullet did not go more than through the first layer mushrooming to the size of a quarter.  As it was Vietnam war time, this lead to development of lightweight armor, and a Secret Security Clearance.  I was transferred to Tomahawk, WI,  to one of O-I’s pulp and paper mills.  I loved it there and the people too.  We built our first house there and I started taking flying lessons, but after two years was transferred back to Toledo to HQ to get more experience.  We built another new house in Tontogany, OH.   Late 1969 my mother died and my brother, an only sibling, was killed when his navy fighter crashed.  I had an early midlife crisis I suppose and we decided to move to Stanstead, an ancestral home from my mother’s family.  The other option was to move to Homer, Alaska where we visited on our 17,000 mile trip in our Land Rover around North America between finishing grad school and starting work for O-I Sept of 1965

The 1980s were not happy for me.  My daughter Wendie developed a brain tumor and eventually died after two operations and four years of difficulties.  Two years went by and my wife developed colon cancer.  I believe it was because of her “what if’s”.   She kept wondering what if we had done this or what if we had done that.  I was content that we had done the best we could, first the best neurosurgeon at the teaching hospital in Sherbrooke and then the best one at Children’s in Montréal.  After five years of fighting colon cancer with two years of biweekly visits from Stanstead to National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD, she died September 24, 1990.

The 90’s were better.  I dated some, was married once which did not work out, and worked.  Then August 1, 2003 I married Tonie A. Finch and it has been good since.

In the summer of 2005 I was elected national Trustee then Treasurer (CFO) of The American Society of Dowsers  headquartered in Danville,VT.  In the summer of 2007, I was elected national President.  Dowsing is a “question /answer” system, you ask a question and dowsing gives you an answer always.  The quality of the answer depends on things that I am having fun trying to sort out.  An interesting book that researches these ESP abilities, which you might like to read, is EXTRAORDINARY KNOWING by Dr Meyer.

At the moment I am working on the CAN USA Project, a project to permit secure car travel across the Canada/USA border without stopping.  It might take a while, although there is a lot of interest from citizens and some from governments.

George K. Weller, Jr.

Home:                                                                                                    also:

4945 Stage Road                                                                                   PO Box 473

Stanstead, Quebec J0B-3E0                                                             Derby Line, VT 05830


email:     gweller@ctq2.org

Home Page:          http://www.ctq2.org

819- 876-2528



Comments are closed.